Welcome to Wilkies Grove Baptist Church!
Wilkies Grove is located in the George Hildebran community of eastern Burke county. We are a traditional church with an affiliation with the Southern Baptist Convention, the Baptist State Convention of North Carolina and the Catawba River Baptist Association. Wilkies Grove has origins as far back as 1890. The first church building was completed in 1893 and was used until 1951.
The sanctuary, pictured above, has origins back to 1951. During this phase of growth the front porch and bell tower was added along with several classrooms, completed at various stages throughout the 1950's. The sanctuary was significantly remodeled again in 1985 coinciding with the construction of the Educational Building. In 1999, the sanctuary was remodeled to its current state. Several rows of seating, a new vestibule, A/V control room and an additional restroom at the back was added. This last renovation allows for approximately 300 to be seated in the sanctuary.
The education building and church offices are located behind the sanctuary building. This two-story addition to the main builiding was completed in 1985. We also have two other buildings on our campus. The Sunday School wing is located on the north side of the church and also houses our library. This building was built in 1969 as the original fellowship hall, nursery and education building. It was remodeled in 2004 as the Sunday School Wing, and also houses our refurbished nursery.
On the south side of the church is the fellowship hall/multipurpose building. This building can be used for meals, dramas or meetings. It is designed to hold over 750 people for meetings and can be converted to seat over 350 for meals. The new fellowship hall was completed in the Fall of 2004.
Here we grow again! Wilkies Grove is currently planning to build a new main sanctuary to seat 550 worshippers. Our Capital Campaign Committee has set several financial benchmarks for the project to move forward. The new sanctuary will incorporate the existing sanctuary and will allow for the original sanctuary to remain as a small chapel, seating approximately 100.